The AT&T Byron Nelson PGA Tour stop has officially moved venues and will now be played at the beautiful links style course at Trinity Forest Golf Club designed by the dynamic duo of Coore/Crenshaw. Jordan Spieth, a Texas native, is the biggest name draw this week, with many players from the top 50 in the OWGR taking some time off before the U.S. Open.
So, unlike most of the other venues on Tour, there is no course history to draw from in making our predictions this week. That said, here’s our top five to win the tournament this week.
5. Jordan Spieth – He always seems to play well in Texas and despite not playing well of late, the weak field should help his cause and have him in the mix on Sunday. He did go on a tear at the Players after a slow start.
4. Jimmy Walker – Playing well and a Texas native, he seems ready to notch his first win in 2018. Two top fives in his last three starts.
3. Matt Kuchar – The Kooch’s scrambling ability should serve him very well on this course as getting it up and down on these tricky greens will be the a requirement for the entire field. Kooch is due to hit the win column after many good recent rounds and ranked 3rd in the Wannamakeabet Power Rankings this week.
2. Charles Howell III – Charlie’s putting has been better than ever this year. He’s officially the Tom Kite of the modern era, meaning he always makes the cut and cashes decent sized checks but rarely, if ever, gets in the winners box. This could be the week.
1. Since we have no course history to go on, we’re going with a relative dark horse this week in Chesson Hadley. His last four starts he’s gone 11th, 16th, 4th, 20th, and is hitting the ball beautifully and his strokes gained putting stats, arguably the most important on Tour, are also Top 10. Take Chesson to the bank this week.
Wanna bet real money on golf? Check out the odds from our friends over at MyBookie for the latest odds on this tournament and the upcoming majors.